A person suffers from a brain stroke when the supply of blood to a particular area of the brain is disrupted. According to medical professionals, strokes are distinct because it must be determined which area of the brain is experiencing an oxygen-rich blood supply shortage.
There are basically 2 types of strokes, namely Ischemic and Hemorrhagic. While the former is caused when a clot obstructs the flow of blood in the brain, the latter is caused by a sudden eruption of an artery in the brain causing internal bleeding due to which there is degeneration of brain tissues. There can be minor brain strokes in which a person might lose control of a body part for some time while significant ones might cause could lead to paralysis of the entire body.
The recent case of a woman suffering from a stroke in Hyderabad is a case of Hemorrhagic stroke where a blood vessel supplying the brain was compressed when she put her neck against the sink bowl. It has been termed the Beauty Parlor Syndrome by the American Medical Association and symptoms included dizziness, loss of balance, and a numbing sensation.
According to information made public by National Health Portal, 70-75% of people suffer from ischemic strokes.
Causes of a stroke: Dr. Ajit Singh Randhawa, MCh (Neurosurgery), AIIMS responded, “High levels of blood pressure and uncontrolled diabetes” when questioned about the two most frequent causes of insufficient oxygen-rich blood supply to the brain.
Dr. Randhawa lists “keeping blood pressure and blood sugar levels under control” as some of the preventive measures. Obesity is a major risk factor, so losing weight is crucial, and it must be done the right way so that weight loss is maintained for the rest of the life. Proper consultation from a professional is also a must.
Initial care for a brain stroke:
When asked for any advice on what should be done right away if a person is experiencing a stroke, Dr. Randhawa responded, “The first step is to have a person lie down on the floor or sany other flat surface. The patient should then have his pulse checked and be positioned on one side laterally.” He further added that “no liquid should be put in his mouth, not even water for it can increase the risk of choking.”
When asked how we might maintain the best possible levels of brain health, former head nutritionist Dr. Madhu Sharma suggested the following ideas:
· Omega 3 Fatty acids: According to Dr. Sharma, “Consumption of foods with fats containing good amounts of omega-3 fatty acids should be emphasized on. They are found in nuts and oilseeds, certain green leafy vegetables, as well as in legumes like black gram.”
Egg yolk is an excellent source of good fat containing lecithin and omega-3 fatty acid.
· Go nuts: Healthy fats found in “almonds, walnuts, pistachios, oilseeds like chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower as well as melon seeds” are among the foods that are good for the brain.
· Trans-fat consumption should be reduced: Since “high blood pressure” may contribute to strokes. In these situations, it is necessary to “avoid diets heavy in sodium, refined and processed foods, as well as an excess of trans fats.” According to Dr. Sharma, “salt consumption should be minimal to moderate. Food products used in bakeries, refined foods like maida, or ultra-processed ready-to-eat foods or mixes, as well as high-fat foods that thicken blood vessels and lead to blockages and strokes, are all to blame.
· Include fibre in your diet: “Since fiber prevents the absorption of excess carbohydrates and fats in the blood, it is a must to include them in the diet.” Fibre also helps in maintaining gut health, and fruits like apples, bananas, and pears, to name a few, are loaded with this nutrient.
· Increase intake of fruits: Fruits of various colours must be a part of the diet regime. They have very high potassium levels, which play a crucial role in preventing high blood pressure.”
Many health experts suggest that consumption of alcohol, whether active or passive should be limited and completely inhibit consumption of illegitimate drugs or any other substances.
read more : Scientists Find A Way To Restrict The Spread Of Brain Cancer