Brazil’s Supreme court has agreed on the involvement of former right-wing president Jair Bolsonaro in the riot probe
In October, Mr. Bolsonaro posted a video about the legitimacy of the presidential elections.
According to the prosecutors, Mr. Bolsonaro may have incited violence by making such claims. The Supreme Court of Brazil had included the ex-president in the investigation on Friday, the prosecutors said.
The video shared by Bolsonaro claimed that President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva wasn’t voted for the office but rather chosen by the Supreme Court and Brazil’s electoral body.
On Sunday, the video was posted after the uprising and later deleted, the prosecutor general’s office argued that it was sufficient enough to justify investigating Mr. Bolsonaro’s conduct previously.
While thousands of pro-Bolsonaro supporters still argued that the elections were rigged and unfair, stormed the government buildings including the Presidential palace, Supreme Court, and Congress.
For weeks after calling a military coup they still camped out in and around the capital Brasilia.
Meanwhile, Mr. Bolsonaro was admitted to the hospital for abdominal pain after being stabbed in the stomach during an election campaign, said his wife.
In December, he left for the US, refusing to take part in the official handover of power to Lula Da Silva.
The Supreme court ordered the arrest of top government officials
Order made by Brazilian Government
The Brazilian Supreme court has ordered the arrest of Bolsonaro’s far-right allies including the former Security chief of Brasilia Anderson Torres in relation to the January 8 riots in the capital.
Torres has denied such claims and said that he would be present in his defense, but both Bolsonaro and Torres remained in the US state of Florida.
Many as 1200 were reported including top government officials to be charged with acts of omission and concealing documents that would link them with the incitement of riots on 8 January.
Mr. Torres who left for the US before the uprising has criticized the claims made about him as simply defaming me out of office, “he also added the documents were found on a pile of other documents and had been taken out of context”
Dino Flavio to take action against those who incited the riots
The Brazilian government under President Lula da Silva has vowed to investigate those who were involved in the act of vandalism and the ones who helped to plan and finance the attack on the country’s democratic institutions, he said on Friday.
Justice Minister Dino Flavio who had taken the office a week ago spoke to the reporter that “ If Torres won’t confirm his appearance by next week, we shall trigger the procedures of International legal cooperation and carry out his extradition”.
Brazil police raided Torres’s house last week and found a draft containing the order to take over the control of electoral authority and potentially overturned the election.
The origins of the dossier remain unclear and Torres needs to present the statement about where the documents originated, said Dino.
Mario Sergio Lima, a political analyst at Medley Advisors told Associated Press that “failing to probe against the document’s author or origins of the papers, Torres would be further charged with dereliction of duty”
The former governor of the federal district and former military chief of police are also the targets of the investigation made public on Friday by the Supreme Court. Both were later suspended from their positions after the uprising.