Another bad news for the Federer fans! As instructed by the doctors, the Swiss tennis star will go for one more round of knee surgery, an operation that the 40-year old said on Sunday will give him a “glimmer of hope” that he can resume his career with utmost determination and health.
The tennis world is stunned to hear the heart-rending announcement that the tennis great made on his Instagram account through a video post. As a result of surgery, Federer is expected to miss the U. S. Open and be forced to sit at home for months watching tennis tournaments on his television.
“I’ll be on crutches for many weeks and then also out of the game for many months,” Federer said.
Doctors told Federer that he has to undergo knee surgery to maintain the knee’s long-term health that he injured again during the grass-court season.
Roger Federer admitted in the video that the surgery and the rehabilitation that follows would be complicated for him. But it is the right decision according to him as he seriously wants to be healthy.
The downfall of the great: String of surgeries
Federer, sharing the men’s record of 20 Grand Slam titles with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, has played 13 games in 2021, whereas only six during 2020 and underwent two knee surgeries during the period.
There was more than a year of rehabilitation before a return to action in March. The return was about 13 months after his Australian Open semi-final exit last year.
He also pulled his name out of the Tokyo Olympics to get his vulnerable knee rested. After clearing up the fourth round in the French Open 2021, Federer withdrew his name from the tournament.
He seemed so dull when he lost the quarter-finals of Wimbledon to Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz, making it the first time when he had tasted defeat in straight sets since a first-round exit at the hands of Mario Ancic in 2002.
He had lost a set 6-0 for the first time at Wimbledon and only 3rd at a Slam. It was only his 14th defeat at the All England Club in 119 matches.
The tennis star said in his Instagram video, “I am realistic, don’t get me wrong, I know how difficult it is at this age right now to do another surgery and try it, but look, I want to be healthy and I’ll go through the rehab process I think also with the goal while I am still active which I think is going to help me during this long period of time.”
Towards the end of the 97-second video, Federer thanked his fans for always supporting him and praying the best for him. He also mentioned that he will keep updating his supporters with his rehabilitation process and recovery.
Russian Daniil Medvedev, current World’s no. 1 ranked tennis player, showed his disappointment for the absence of Federer in the Masters 1000 event in Toronto while speaking to the reporters after winning the tournament. He also wished him health and a speedy recovery.