UP Minister Rakesh Sachan ‘fled’ the court immediately after being declared guilty. Sachan was found guilty in the Arms Act case that took place 31 years ago in 1991.
The court recently declared Rakesh Sachan, a Minister of Uttar Pradesh, guilty in an almost 30-year-old Arms Act case. Sachan was then accused of fleeing from the Kanpur court on Saturday without furnishing bail bonds. Sachan allegedly disappeared from the court before the punishment was even decided.
Richa Gupta, a prosecution officer, stated that Rakesh Sachan left the courtroom soon after he was convicted. He disappeared before the court could ask the defence to make their arguments over the quantum of punishment.
Furthermore, Gupta said that an FIR against Sachan will be lodged on account of him leaving without furnishing bail bonds.
What happens to the Minister now.
Since then, a police officer stated on Sunday that a “preliminary enquiry” into the disappearance of Rakesh Sachan has been launched.
B.P. Jogdand, the Commissioner of Police, stated that the Assistant Police Commissioner, Ashok Kumar Singh, has been tasked with inquiring into the charges that are against Rakesh Sachan. This is to be done in a police complaint before lodging an FIR.
According to the complaint, the Arms Act case file of the court which was related to the minister, was in the possession of the minister’s advocate. At this time, he took with him some papers, including the order sheet as well as the conviction order. Afterwhich, he suddenly left the court.
Apparently, according to a senior official, Sachan fled the court along with the conviction order that was given to him for his signature.
Sources say that the minister is expected to be present before the court on Monday. He will have to be present in order to seek bail.
When speaking to the media, Minister Rakesh Sachan denied the allegations of him ‘disappearing’. According to him, his case was apparently not listed for the final verdict. He then went to say that he will deal with the issue suitably.
That being said, Sachan also expressed his unawareness with regards to the court’s decision. As per Sachan’s claims, he was ignorant of whether the additional chief metropolitan magistrate-3 court found him guilty in the Arms Act case or not. He denied being aware of his conviction even after having fled with the conviction order.
However, Sachan later added that no matter what the verdict is, he will honour the court’s decision.
The minister also lashed out at Akhilesh Yadav. He claimed that Yadav was targeting him over the issue, saying that as long as he was in the Samajwadi Party he was a good man. However, after becoming a part of the BJP, he was called a “pebble thief” or an “absconding minister”
Rakesh Sachan claimed that at the time of Yadav being in power, he gave the order of withdrawing all of the cases against Sachan. However, now, claims Sachan, the Samajwadi Party is attacking him for the same cases they ordered to withdraw.
Finally, he suggested that the Samajwadi Party and their chief must straighten out their facts before making any accusations.
Minister’s involvement in the Arms Act case.
The case dates back to 31 years ago in August of 1991. A station officer of Naubasta police station filed a complaint against Rakesh Sachan. This was done after Sachan was found in possession of an illegal firearm. Sachan failed to produce a licence for the same.
Sachan entered into politics in the early 90s by joining the Samajwadi Party. Since, Sachan joined the Congress party and later shifted to BJP just before the assembly polls.