26 November is celebrated as the constitutional day of the Samvidhan Divas in India to commemorate the adoption of the Indian constitution on this day. Late back on 26 January 1950 the constitution was implemented and came into effect from this date.
This day is a symbol of the work done by the drafting committee under the chairmanship of BR Ambedkar which played a key role in drafting the constitution of India. The Indian constitution was framed in almost 2 years 11 months and 18 days time period.
This day was earlier celebrated as National law day, which was posted in 2015 following the 125th birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar, its name was changed to constitution day.
The constitution assembly of India adopted the constitution on November 26,1949 however it was enforced from January 26, 1950. During this 2-month gap between the adoption and enforcement, the members of the constitution assembly debated and discussed the clauses in the constitution in great detail to suit the Indian democracy.
The constitution assembly met for around 2 years 11 months and 18 days that is approximately 166 days before adopting the constitution.
Features of India’s constitution –
- The Indian constitution follows a parliamentary form of Government.
- The Indian constitution works on the principle of the independence of the judiciary.
- The Indian constitution is partly rigid and partly flexible.
- Single citizenship and universal adult franchise are its key features of it.
- It is the largest and the bulkiest constitution in the world.
- It contains a preamble that serves as the identity card of the entire constitution.
- The Indian constitution is organic in nature that keeps on growing and evolving with time.
- It is a source of fundamental rights, a source of distribution of power between the center and the state.
- It contains the Directive Principles of State Policy that serve as guidelines for the state to ensure a welfare society.
Thus, the Constitution of India is the supreme law of the land that provides ultimate sovereignty to the people and keeps a check on the institution of government.