With its aim to promote and educate citizens about various schemes of the Indian Navy and the Government of India, the Navy is going to organize a Coastal Car Rally awareness Drive Programme in association with Mahindra Automobiles.
In the scenario of changing Geopolitics order, the Maritime trade plays an important role in the Nation’s Economy and the same message was conveyed by our Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi during his speech on the occasion of 59th National Maritime Day on 5th April 2022, and also our Indian Navy plays a crucial role in the security and protection of our Maritime Interests. Surrounded by the sea from three sides i.e. The Bay of Bengal, The Indian Ocean, and The Arabian Sea India has a huge coastline of around 7500 Km which is more than the land border we share with China and Pakistan combined.
The Navy has a great responsibility in protecting and guarding these areas. To excite the nation’s maritime interest and encourage Sea Consciousness, the Indian Navy along with the Navy Welfare and Wellness Association (NWWA) is going to inaugurate maritime awareness through a coastal motor car expedition. The expedition is known as “SHAM NO VARUNAH” which is the motto of the Indian Navy, inspired by the Vedas meaning, ‘ May Lord of Waters, Varuna be Auspicious Unto Us’. The expedition aims to cover the entire Indian coastline in March 2023.
Indian navy’s Objectives of this programme-
- Celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. ( 75 years of Independence)
- Awareness campaigns about the numerous career prospects for young people offered by the Indian Navy, notably the Agnipath Scheme, are being conducted along the route.
- Showcasing ‘Naari Shakti’ by the participation of serving women officers and naval wives to encourage and inspire women for the Navy.
- Encourage the younger generation to join the Indian Navy by instilling a feeling of adventure in them.
- Interact with the Naval Veterans and the Veer Naaris on the way.
- By focusing on different Ports, Forts, Lighthouses, Historic Villages, Beaches, etc., the Indian Navy aims to raise awareness of India’s rich maritime legacy and encourage the resurrection of maritime history.
Towards this expedition it is planned for:-
- Flagging off the rally from INS Netaji Subhas on 26th March 2023 from Kolkata and concluding the rally at Lakhpat Gujarat on 19th April 2023.
- The Expedition will reach INS Chilka on the historic occasion of the Passing Out Parade of the First batch of Agniveers of the Indian Navy from the same scheme on 28th March 2023.
- Organizing awareness efforts in the towns and cities along the way to spread the word about job opportunities.
- Conduct NWWA outreach activities at various old age homes, orphanages, and schools for special children in keeping with the ethos of community development and empowerment.
- Undertaking coastal cleaning initiatives at various beaches throughout the way and spreading environmental awareness among citizens.
- Visiting the forts/lighthouses/ places of maritime importance during the journey and organizing events over there will spread awareness of our rich maritime heritage in the minds of the common people.
The journey is planned for more than twenty-five days covering approx. 7500 km of the coastal area and passing through all coastal states, the mission is partnered with M/s Mahindra which is providing a fleet of 12 vehicles of Mahindra Scorpio-N, XUV700, and XUV300 TurboSport along with Mastercard India and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. as fuel partner.